There are many things to do in Okemo Valley of course, but fantastic summer stock theatre is high on my list of favorites. You can spend the day hiking scenic trails of southern Vermont or lounging in Vermont’s best swimming holes, then grab a delicious meal at one of our many restaurants in Proctorsville or Ludlow, and finally drive over the mountain to Weston Playhouse for a performance you’ll absolutely love. All of this coupled with the casual relaxation of our 8 room bed and breakfast, Golden Stage Inn, and you’ve got a trip to remember!
For the summer of 2017, Weston has offered a line-up of classics and Vermont premieres replete with comedy, music, and simple but true talent. As maybe you know, Weston Playhouse has two stages. The first is its MainStage in the Weston Playhouse. Historic and traditional, it offers ‘big show’ theatre in a rather small and intimate setting.
• Once is on the MainStage from June 27 – July 15. I’ve yet to see the stage production, but the movie version is one of my all-time favorites. Rich in wonderful music, this tender and poignant musical has been the winner of eight Tony Awards.
• Lost in Yonkers will run from July 20 – July 29. A Neil Simon play and the winner of four Tony Awards and a Pulitzer, this comedic coming of age story focuses on a German-Jewish family in Yonkers in 1942.
• The Music Man will wow audiences from August 3 – August 19 (just about the time when “the corn is as high as an elephant’s eye!”). This classic musical is filled with songs you know, “Oh What A Beautiful Morning,” “Pick a Little, Talk a Little,” “Gary, Indiana,” and “Seventy-Six Trombones.” Weston takes on a classic musical every year, and every year they create a stunning, dazzling, foot-tapping, smiling, so-glad- you-went production.
• Long Day’s Journey Into Night will wrap up the season from August – September 3. Weston Playhouse chose this Eugene O’Neill play as their third annual American Masters production and they describe it (and rightly so!) as “one of the most profound and powerful plays ever brought to the stage.”
The second stage used by Weston Playhouse is even more intimate than the MainStage. Dubbed the OtherStage, the venue of the Weston Rod & Gun Club offers only three rows of seats and it’s so small that I’m not sure if the actors are even miked. Because Weston Playhouse Theatre Company is building and opening a new studio theatre just down the road, I imagine that this summer of 2017 may be the final season for the Rod & Gun Club (but I’m just supposing this, I’m not certain).
• Really Rosie is Weston’s annual “Young Company” Production. This is a production performed by the younger actors and for an even younger audience and their families. And check out these credits… the play is by Maurice Sendak while the music is by Carole King. How fun is that?!
• Tenderly, a Vermont premiere, is running from July 13 – August 6. This musical tells the life story of Rosemary Clooney from her childhood to her Hollywood fame.
• Buyer & Cellar will run from August 10 – September 3. Another Vermont premiere, this one-man show tells the bizarre tale of a struggling actor who finds work in Barbara Streisand’s personal mall in her basement. Weston describes this play as “hilarious,” and “fantastically funny” and the winner of multiple Off-Broadway awards.
The Weston Playhouse is located in the charming village of Weston, Vermont, 20 minutes from Golden Stage Inn in Proctorsville, Vermont (just a couple miles south of Ludlow and Okemo Mountain Resort). If you’ve never been to Weston, consider arriving a few hours early, leaving time to visit the Vermont Country Store (open til 7pm) and one of the many restaurants in the village (Inn at Weston, West Town Eatery, Mildred’s Dairy Barn, and The Bryant House).
The box office opens in May and we’ll have our theatre-lodging packages posted in early May too. You can find these on the Specials page of our website. Contact us by email or phone with any questions or to make your reservations. We look forward to hosting you!
Mike & Julie-Lynn Wood
Golden Stage Inn Bed and Breakfast
innkeeper (at) goldenstageinn.com